Tricks for Fitting Pop-Up Dies to Different Card Formats
Hi friends! Do you make different sized cards? I do - and my latest favorite is the mini slimline format - it's so cute! I'm more comfortable working in smaller formats, so this cute format is my jam.
I wanted to use the Birthday Cake Pop-up Die in this format, but I ran into a bit of a snag. If I position the die at the crease in the card, when the card was closed, the candles would extend past the card, which would require a larger envelope and possibly risk them being bent. But I was undeterred! I noticed that the OPENING for the candles would allow me to put candles - slightly shorter of course - behind the cake and preserve the dimensions of the card - yay! You'll see what I mean in a minute.
But first - the front of the card! I masked off a band on the card front and used Hero Hues Reactive Inks in Lemon Drop and Taffy to ink blend a stripe with Ink Blending Brushes and the Streamer Stencil. The sentiment is from the Color Layering Cupcake set.
Then you open up the card to this amazing 3D cake pop-up!
Here's how it comes together.
- First - trim a mini slim card so it's slightly smaller than the finished card - I took 1/8" off each side. Then, position the Birthday Cake Pop-up Die with the scoring bars on either side of the cake aligned with the crease in the card and run it through your die cutting machine.
- Cut a second cake on a white scrap of cardstock.
- Trim the candles off this second cake AND the first cake.
- Using blending brushes and Pool Party and Lemon Drop Reactive Inks, ink blend three of the candles (I masked them with a post it to color the flame and the candle separately), and the second cake image.
- Ink blend the entire, smaller card with the pop-up cut into it with Lemon Drop ink, and blend Taffy ink through the Streamer Stencil on top of that.
- Glue the second, ink blended cake onto the pop-up cake on the card.
- Put a piece of tape behind the negative space on the card where the candles are, so the sticky side is facing the decorated card.
- Inlay your ink blended candles onto that tape into the candle openings.
- Stamp the sentiment from the Birthday Stamp & Cut XL onto the decorated card.
- Glue card inside your mini slimline card, being careful not to get adhesive on any of the moving cake parts.
Hope you all have a fabulous weekend.
Click on products to shop:
Leave a comment
Please login with your Hero Arts account in order to comment.
Click HERE to sign up if you don't have an account.
June 27, 2021
Awesome card and great solution for your sticking out candles.
Also love how you connect the front with the inside by making the colourful band.
Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration, stay safe and have a wonderful day.