Tricks for Fitting Pop-Up Dies to Different Card Formats
Hi friends! Do you make different sized cards? I do - and my latest favorite is the mini slimline format - it's so cute! I'm more comfortable working in smaller formats, so this cute format is my jam.
I wanted to use the Birthday Cake Pop-up Die in this format, but I ran into a bit of a snag. If I position the die at the crease in the card, when the card was closed, the candles would extend past the card, which would require a larger envelope and possibly risk them being bent. But I was undeterred! I noticed that the OPENING for the candles would allow me to put candles - slightly shorter of course - behind the cake and preserve the dimensions of the card - yay! You'll see what I mean in a minute.
But first - the front of the card! I masked off a band on the card front and used Hero Hues Reactive Inks in Lemon Drop and Taffy to ink blend a stripe with Ink Blending Brushes and the Streamer Stencil. The sentiment is from the Color Layering Cupcake set.
Then you open up the card to this amazing 3D cake pop-up!
Here's how it comes together.
- First - trim a mini slim card so it's slightly smaller than the finished card - I took 1/8" off each side. Then, position the Birthday Cake Pop-up Die with the scoring bars on either side of the cake aligned with the crease in the card and run it through your die cutting machine.
- Cut a second cake on a white scrap of cardstock.
- Trim the candles off this second cake AND the first cake.
- Using blending brushes and Pool Party and Lemon Drop Reactive Inks, ink blend three of the candles (I masked them with a post it to color the flame and the candle separately), and the second cake image.
- Ink blend the entire, smaller card with the pop-up cut into it with Lemon Drop ink, and blend Taffy ink through the Streamer Stencil on top of that.
- Glue the second, ink blended cake onto the pop-up cake on the card.
- Put a piece of tape behind the negative space on the card where the candles are, so the sticky side is facing the decorated card.
- Inlay your ink blended candles onto that tape into the candle openings.
- Stamp the sentiment from the Birthday Stamp & Cut XL onto the decorated card.
- Glue card inside your mini slimline card, being careful not to get adhesive on any of the moving cake parts.
Hope you all have a fabulous weekend.
Click on products to shop: