Who says tags have to be rectangles, squares, or circles? Today we’re going beyond traditional tag shapes and mixing it up with some fun and festive holiday shapes! Stay tuned for downloadable templates and a video too…lots of good stuff in store today!
First up is Laura Griffin, who created not one, not two, but FOUR fabulous shaped tags to dress up her holiday packages! Laura says, “I love receiving custom-shaped tags and cards, but I have to admit that making them can sometimes be intimidating! Since I’m not much of a drawer (do stick figures count?), I started off this week’s challenge by raiding my kitchen and pulling out a few trusty holiday cookie cutters. After tracing the images, I scanned them into my computer, then customized them. For those of you with digital die-cut machines, I’ve created some downloadable templates of each tag in several formats. For those of you without die-cut machines, you can simply download the PDF files and cut out the shapes by hand. These samples were all cut out with my Silhouette and embellished with Memories ink and several images from Ink ‘n’ Stamp Merry Messages. Hope you enjoy and happy tag-making!”
- Downloadable Templates (GSD, SVG, AI, PDF, JPG files) Scroll down to download!
- Ink ‘n’ Stamp Merry Messages
- Midnight Black Pearls
- White Memories Ink
- Ranger Diamond Stickles
- Other: digital diecutting machine, kraft, red, green,white and black cardstock, vellum (for gingerbread man banner), permanent inks in red and green, black marker, decorative edge scissors (EK Success), white grosgrain ribbon, red satin ribbon, white rick-rack, orange marker (for snowman nose)
- Raid your kitchen and use holiday cookie cutters as your own custom tag templates. Just trace with a pencil and cut out!
- You can cut out two ornament templates in different colors, then trim out strips from one with decorative edge scissors, adhering the strips to the other for a quick and easy multi-color ornament.
- Add a small dot of Stickles to the center of your snowflakes and poinsettia flowers for a subtle shimmer.
- Stamp your own patterned snowman scarf using a small snowflake or star image and white Memories ink.
Now, as promised, here are the template downloads! Included are a gingerbread man, mittens, an ornament, a stocking, and a snowman. BIG thanks to Laura for creating these great shapes for us!
- Click here for Holiday Tags PDF - This is the simple print & cut PDF download for those without digital diecut machines.
- Click here for Holiday Tags ZIP - These are the digital cutting files, intended for use with digital diecut machines.
Jacki Jones used Laura’s mitten pattern to create some double-sided warm and cozy tags of her own! Jacki shares, “I had so much fun using Laura’s pattern! Sometimes it’s good to go back to old fashioned– you know before the days of die cut machines, punches, and electronic cutters. Don’t panic! I don’t mean we’d stay there because I’m a big fan of toys and gadgets. But, just for a minute…! I printed Laura’s pattern directly on the back of the velveteen paper. Make sure you know how your printer prints and insert the paper accordingly. Because I was using pattered paper for the other side of the tag, I used the Xyron to apply the adhesive to ensure complete coverage. I also used Laura’s suggestion to connect the mittens together using hemp or yarn.”
- Sparkle Clear: Holiday Messages
- Snowflake Gems
- Felt Poinsettia And Leaves
- Other: mitten pattern download, patterned paper ( Basic Grey), velveteen paper, pom pom fringe, brad, 1/16 hole punch, Xyron adhesive
Jacki also designed a beautifully embossed Christmas tree tag using the stamp itself as a guide — what a great idea! Here’s Jacki with more: “What would you do if you needed to make a shaped tag and you didn’t have the right template or die? Check out your collection of stamps to make a pattern. Instead of cutting a detailed tree shape, I used the paper trimmer for quick and easy duplication.”
- Winter Pine
- Winter Mixed Notecards
- Kraft Notecards
- White Embossing Powder
- Memories Black Ink
- Metallic Decor - Blue & Purple
- Prisma Glitter
And here’s a video with tips on how to recreate Jacki’s tree shaped tag!
We hope today’s ideas have you feeling inspired to stamp some holiday tags! Remember, you have until 11:59pm PST on Sunday, December 6 to submit for the weekly challenge. (Complete details are HERE.)
Thanks for stopping by! Here’s hoping your day shapes up nicely!
Filed under: holidaytags