Watch it Wednesday: Manly Details… and Video!

Crafting projects for men and boys is a little trickier than it is for girls, especially in the ‘decorative’ department. We tend to like to embellish our cards with flowers and pretty feminine touches. When making cards and layouts for the boys in our life, the question becomes… how do we add details and special flair to our masculine projects?

I suggest you think about all the details that make you think of a man and/or a boy. Think about what their tastes include and maybe even what their wardrobe involves? What are their hobbies and favorite things in life? The details that we can add our masculine projects include: textures, materials such as leather and denim, distressing, metals, wood and cork materials, paint, masculine themes, etc. Any and all these special details can take an average card or layout and crank it up a notch to something fantastic and high voltage!

For me, one of my favorite things to add to a card or scrapbook page is the ‘details’… all the special little touches. I’m never satisfied until I can find the perfect balance when embellishing my projects and making them something special.

For this scrapbook page, I had this beautiful boy to work with… isn’t he sweet? He is my first nephew and we are so excited to have another boy in the family! For me, one of the things that define little boys to me is blue jeans. My son was in overalls from infant age til he got old enough to say “no more, mom!” - now he is in blue jeans every day. Also, my favorite thing on my husband is a comfortably baggy pair of denims… sigh. Denim became a natural part of my page. I stamped blue ink directly onto denim adhesive backed paper. The effect is sort of faded which I found appropriate since I was going for a faded blue jean look. You can see this if you look close on the blue jean material above and to the right of the photograph. For more detailing I stamped (with white) branch images onto black cardstock and added some metal in the form of brads/fasteners, corrugated textured paper, patterned paper, etc. I really like the look I acheived - it is certainly all boy.

thomassendingloveyourwaysmall.jpg

Supplies:

As always on Wednesday’s, the Hero Arts blog is extra special because it is Video Day! Jennifer McGuire is sharing a video today I think you will find really fun and informative. In her card design, she added the masculine detail of faux metal! The results are really extraordinary and not too hard to do once you learn - follow along in her video below to see how you can incorporate this ‘metallic’ technique onto your next card.

The floor is all yours Jennifer

jennifermetal.jpg
jennifermetaldetail.jpgSupplies:

Everyone - there will be another drawing in the coming days so be sure to check back daily for more on masculine stamp design and for your chance to win MORE!

lesliesignaturesmall2.jpg

Filed under:

98 Responses to “Watch it Wednesday: Manly Details… and Video!”

Pages of comments: « 14 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Show All

Izabella said:

Thanks for the video!This is wonderful!

Linda said:

What a great scrapbook page! It also doesn’t hurt when you have a cute picture of such a little cutie!

Linda

Jennifer L said:

What an awesome technique! It totally looks like metal! I can’t wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing the video.
    Jennifer L.

Iris Nelson said:

Jennifer,

I have been a lurker for sometime on your blog and at Hero Arts. This is my first time responding, you encourage me to try so many of your wonderful project. This definitely is a must to recreate. Thanks again for all that you share and do. You help keep my creative juice flowing by incorporating your design/ technique on some of my own projects. My husband always feels outnumber with me and the girls know I can include him by recreating something masculine and special just for him.

Cindy said:

Jennifer,

Love this technique. I have tried it before, however, it has been a while. Think I’ll break out the embossing powder and heat gun tomorrow and see what I can come up with for Christmas.

Cindy

Burt said:

Thanks for the video! I’ll try to use this technique with gold embossing powder for my Christmas cards.

sarah said:

Really neat technique!! I always wondered how it was done. Thanks Jennifer and Hero Arts:)

Linda E said:

Thanks for a great tutorial. Can’t wit to try this!

Nancy said:

Thank you for another opportunity to join in on a contest. I like to use lots of pokadots and stripes together. I used to teach quilting and love combinding different patterened materials to make things more interesting Some dots come across as a solid when you squint your eyes so they are a good mixer. Have a blessed day, Nancy

Wendy said:

This is a really cute idea that has me looking at some of my stamps in a new light. I’m wondering how some of my background stamps would look on a piece of chipboard…

Thanks for the inspiration!

Pages of Comments: « 14 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Show All